miércoles, 31 de octubre de 2018

SPEAKING: DESCRIBE A PICTURE


Resultado de imagen de describing a picture b2 at the top at the bottom

It is time now to focus in DESCRIBING PICTURES, as it might be one of the tasks required in your oral test.
 





 Here are some tips:
DO
Look carefully at the photo. Think carefully how to start. In some exams you are given some time to think about what you are going to say. Use that time! 

Scan the picture and identify the topic. It is better to start with a general statement. 
For example, They are clearly both connected to the topic of science… but in two quite different contexts. Use present continuous to describe what is happening.

Remember the pictures are just an excuse to talk about the topic, so don't give a very detailed description. Select the relevant details Sometimes there is a question or a statement to help you identify the topic. Sometimes, you can find a word-cloud with some ideas (ex nightlife, pollution, facilitites) to help you talk.


Use a wide range of vocabulary. Remember this is a picture so you cannot be 100% sure what is happening. Use appropriate language to show you are guessing.

Speculate about the pictures. You are not asked simply to describe what is happening.  
For example: He is likely to / she’ll probably find it quite tough

Give your opinion, using a variety of structures. If the photographs surprise you, show surprise -your voice should reflect your feelings and attitude. Don't forget to develop your ideas. Don't forget to use Linking Words to connect your ideas.

Use all the time you're given. If you're given 2 minutes, you'll need to talk the 2 minutes. Practise!

DON'T

Don't use the present simple to describe what is happening
Don't give ennumerations
Don't use "I think…" all the time.
Don't give complicated explanations if you are not sure.

Don't stop talking until the examiner indicates the exam has finished
Don't worry if you don't understand immediately what is going on in the picture. 
Remember you are allowed some time to organise your ideas. Use it!

Don't worry if you don't know the precise word for what you can see; paraphrase Don't talk about something that is not relevant to the pictures


SPECULATING

I think / I guess/ I suppose it is... I expect/ I imagine it is... It/he must be.... It /he can't be I am not sure but, they could be.. It's not very clear but, probably... I can't make it out but, perhaps Maybe, perhaps they are...
They seem to be  eating something It can/could/might (not) be .... Probably/Perhaps

* It is used to write....
* It is something you do when...
* It's a person who...
* It' something which
* It's a kind of/some kind of..
* It's a sort of/some sort of ...
* It's like a ...

ILLUSTRATE USING
For example... For instance... such as...


GIVE OPINION
As far as I know… • Speaking for myself… • In my opinion… • Personally, I think… • I'd say that… • In my experience… • I'd like to point out that… • I believe that… • What I mean is… • My personal view is that • I might be wrong but … • It seems to me that..

I think I'd prefer... as... If I had to choose I would... It's very hard to say but ....


Click on the link to see a video illustrating some basic tips to improve your performance.
source: Diana's English films and lessons
Imagen relacionada

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario